CD Giveaway: Win the Broadway cast recording — released today both digitally and in stores – of “Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar Grill,” starring Audra McDonald, who won her record-breaking sixth Tony Award for her portray of Billie Holiday.
Update July 24: Congratulations to the winner, James Kennedy.
The two-disc set was recorded live by PS Classics during performances of the show in May and include the stories that McDonald as Holiday tells during the show as well as some of the seminal jazz singer’s best-known songs, including “God Bless the Child,” “What a Little Moonlight Can Do,” “Strange Fruit” and “Taint Nobody’s Biz-ness.” (see track listing, and some samples directly from the album, below)
To enter the contest to win the CD, answer ONE of the following questions:
1. What is your favorite Audra McDonald performance AND WHY?
2. Has a cast recording ever changed your mind – for good or for ill – about a show you had seen previously? EXPLAIN!
Rules of the contest:
1. Please put your answer in the comments at the bottom of this blog post, because the winner will be chosen through Random.org based on the order of your reply, not its content.
But you must answer the question, complete with explanation, or your entry will not be approved for submission.
2. Please include in your answer your Twitter name and follow my Twitter feed at @NewYorkTheater so that I can send you a direct message. (If you don’t have a Twitter name, create one. It’s free.)
3. This contest ends Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at midnight Eastern Time, and I will make the drawing no later than noon the next day. You must respond to my direct message on Twitter within 24 hours or I will choose another winner.
(4. All submissions have to be approved, so you won’t necessarily see your entry right away: Please be patient, and don’t submit more than once.)
Album track listing
- I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone
- When a Woman Loves a Man
- “I’m even glad to be back in Philly…”
- “I want to introduce my accompanist…”
- What a Little Moonlight Can Do
- “We got this contract…”
- Crazy He Calls Me
- “They used to be hangin’ from the rafters…”
- Gimme a Pigfoot (and a Bottle of Beer)
- “That was in the early thirties…”
- Baby Doll
- “I better watch myself here…”
- God Bless the Child
- “That was for my mama…”
- “Nobody but me ever liked Sonny…”
- Foolin’ Myself/Somebody’s on My Mind
- Easy Living
- “I was singin’ with Artie’s band…”
- Strange Fruit
- “It’s bad again, Jimmy…”
- Blues Break
- “Now I’ll take a little break right here…”
- ‘Tain’t Nobody’s Biz-ness If I Do
- “I want you all to meet Pepi…”
- “I was doin’ the bad drugs heavy…”
- Don’t Explain / What a Little Moonlight Can Do (Reprise)
- Deep Song